Do you have low blood levels of testosterone?
Men with low blood levels of testosterone (men with hypogonadism) may experience low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, low mood, fatigue and other very concerning symptoms that can dramatically impact their lives and that of people around them. There are several questionnaires developed in the medical community to assess who would be a good candidate for testosterone blood testing.
An important observation is that low testosterone symptoms can also be caused by medications, sleep apnea, depression, illness, and other health issues that may have nothing to do with hormone blood levels, so it is important not to assume one has low testosterone just because these symptoms are present. A blood test is a good way to find out if indeed someone has low testosterone blood levels.
The following questionnaire is one the most commonly used in the testosterone replacement field.
ADAM questionnaire about symptoms of low testosterone
(Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male)
This basic questionnaire can be very useful for men to describe the kind and severity of their low testosterone symptoms.
1. Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)? Yes No
2. Do you have a lack of energy? Yes No
3. Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance? Yes No
4. Have you lost height? Yes No
5. Have you noticed a decreased “enjoyment of life” Yes No
6. Are you sad and/or grumpy? Yes No
7. Are your erections less strong? Yes No
8. Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports? Yes No
9. Are you falling asleep after dinner? Yes No
10. Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance? Yes No
If you answered Yes to number 1 or 7 or if you answer Yes to more than 3 questions, you may have low Testosterone.
It’s been 18 years since the FDA approved sildenafil to treat men suffering from erectile dysfunction (ED). Under the well-known brand name Viagra, this...
Endocr Rev, Vol. 34 (03_MeetingAbstracts): MON-594 Evaluation of the efficacy of subcutaneous administration of testosterone in female to male transexuals and hypogonadal males FDA-approved indications for...
Nelson Vergel: I'm very happy to have Shaun Noorian, the owner and manager of Empower Rx Pharmacy in Houston. He's a member of ExcelMale.com,...