Do you have low blood levels of testosterone?
Men with low blood levels of testosterone (men with hypogonadism) may experience low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, low mood, fatigue and other very concerning symptoms that can dramatically impact their lives and that of people around them. There are several questionnaires developed in the medical community to assess who would be a good candidate for testosterone blood testing.
An important observation is that low testosterone symptoms can also be caused by medications, sleep apnea, depression, illness, and other health issues that may have nothing to do with hormone blood levels, so it is important not to assume one has low testosterone just because these symptoms are present. A blood test is a good way to find out if indeed someone has low testosterone blood levels.
The following questionnaire is one the most commonly used in the testosterone replacement field.
ADAM questionnaire about symptoms of low testosterone
(Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male)
This basic questionnaire can be very useful for men to describe the kind and severity of their low testosterone symptoms.
1. Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)? Yes No
2. Do you have a lack of energy? Yes No
3. Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance? Yes No
4. Have you lost height? Yes No
5. Have you noticed a decreased “enjoyment of life” Yes No
6. Are you sad and/or grumpy? Yes No
7. Are your erections less strong? Yes No
8. Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports? Yes No
9. Are you falling asleep after dinner? Yes No
10. Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance? Yes No
If you answered Yes to number 1 or 7 or if you answer Yes to more than 3 questions, you may have low Testosterone.
As shown in the figure above, about 2 percent of the testosterone in the body is active. This “free testosterone” is not attached to...
The Effect of Testosterone Replacement Therapy on Penile Hemodynamics in Hypogonadal Men With Erectile Dysfunction, Having Veno-Occlusive Dysfunction Researchers investigate the possible benefits of testosterone...
Today's google hangout with Jerry Brainum was a great success. I bet that anyone that watches this video will learn things they have never...